I’m currently on a #NoWhiteFoods Diet, and this means that I am totally off all white-refined products, including white sugar, white flour and white rice.
Why? Because my Nanaji (maternal grandfather) showed me this article that he wrote for The Times Of India. Nanaji is a reflexologist with over 23 years of experience in the field. He is over 80 years old, and still treats his patients every single day. Curing people of pain and getting rid of disease is his passion. He has successfully treated patients with Chronic Migraines, Sciatica, Joint pains, PCOD, Multiple sclerosis & Arthritis amongst other ailments.
During my recent visit to Delhi, I made sure to spend an hour a day being treated by him, for the extreme neck & shoulder strain that I faced. He told me that the treatment would be effective only if I complemented it with nutritious food and said goodbye to all white (refined) foods. I quickly agreed, because I was in SO much pain and was willing to do anything to feel better. In seven sessions, my neck felt lighter and the constant ‘electric-shock’ kinda pain had completely disappeared.
In the past, I have spent so much time & money on physiotherapy, finding the right cervical pillow and even resorted to taking strong painkillers, but nothing ever worked as a permanent fix. After two days of pain-free sleep I would be back to feeling like shit. No amount of physiotherapy or allopathy has helped me like Nanaji’s reflexology has, and I’m not just saying that because he is my grandfather.
Though I’ve changed my food habits, I cannot seem to bid goodbye to dessert. So I’ve found a way to make the creamiest ice cream without any artificial crap, gluten, refined sugars or dairy. I change up the flavor occasionally, but the base always remains the same. This time I’ve made Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
For the base, you’re going to need:
- 4 large (very ripe) bananas, sliced and frozen overnight.
For the additional toppings and flavouring you’re going to need:
- 4 tablespoons Raw Cacao Powder
- 72% Raw Dark chocolate, broken down (the one I’m using has no soy lecithin and no refined sugars- WIN! On a side note, recently discovered this new brand – Earth Loaf – that crafts handmade, artisanal, organic, raw, chocolate from South India – you NEED to check them out.)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder
- 4 tablespoons Natural Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/4th a cup of pure Maple Syrup (ensure it is the real stuff- no artificial flavourings & additives)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Natural Vanilla Extract
- 1-2 slices of gluten free bread (I like the chewy-crumbly texture that the bread adds, but my mum & sisters didn’t, so I made it without bread the second time around)
Step 1: Slice the bananas, put them in a zip lock, and freeze them overnight.
Step 2: Blend the frozen bananas in your super-strong food processor, until it reaches a creamy gelato-like consistency.
This is always going to be your base for dairy-free and gluten-free ice cream. You can add whatever toppings you want to this mix.
Step 3: I’m adding the cacao, cinnamon, peanut butter, maple syrup, salt and vanilla extract, and then blending them all together until it becomes a beautiful-chocolatey-creamy mix.
Step 4: Empty out the mix into an airtight container and layer it with additional toppings if you want. I’m adding chopped bread and dark chocolate chips.
Step 5: Have a taste and then freeze it for 2-3 hours before serving.
P.S: This deliciously healthy, vegan, gluten-free ice cream has no refined sugars, is high in antioxidants, contains good fats that is needed by the body to metabolise bad fats, and is rich in minerals such as potassium. It’s also very high in yumminess and happiness.
– For your convenience, by clicking on the underlined terms you will be redirected to the website where you can buy them or learn more about them.
– Video by Nithin Barath
– For more healthy (and yummy) recipes, click here.
vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream