It’s almost Valentine’s Day, one of the only days when it’s acceptable to binge on heart-shaped anythings that are excessively sweet or chocolately, but I must maintain my passion for healthy-wholesome-eating. With that in mind I decided to share with you the one recipe that is Cupid approved…
Introducing Healthy Fudgey Brownies. In my experience, these are the real magic brownies!
- 2 cups of seedless Dates (the squishier and stickier, the better)
- 1 cup of Pecans or 1 cup of Whole Almonds
- 3-4 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of pure 100% maple syrup (optional and can be replaced with any other liquid sweetener).
Follow in Cupid’s footsteps:
- Blend the nuts (either the pecans or almonds) in a food processor until they form a flour-like consistency. Add the dates, raw cacao and maple syrup and blend again. Keep blending until the mixture sticks together.
- Taste to see if you want to increase the maple syrup or raw cacao powder, based on your sweet-chocolatey preference.
- Place the mixture into a baking tray and freeze overnight. If you cannot wait, then freeze the mixture for at least 3-4 hours to allow it to set.
- Cut and store in the fridge to retain freshness.
- Devour with your valentine.
Why these brownies are Cupid’s favorite:
- They are unbelievably sweet, gooey, rich and they melt-in-your-mouth.
- They remind Cupid of heaven, which is his home.
- They take him just 5 minutes to make and is the perfect treat when he is on a love-run.
- They are sugar, dairy and gluten-free.
- They are packed with fiber, protein, antioxidants and goodness.
The Inside Story:
- The stickier dates are usually the Medjool variety
- Ensure that the almonds are not GMO (genetically modified). GMO almonds are usually cheaper, yuckier and have more bad than good in them. 99% of California Almonds (the cheapest ones in the market) are GMO.
- If you are a stickler for health like I am, I suggest you buy raw cacao beans and pound them to powder after cracking open the shells.
- Ensure that the maple syrup is without any icky artificial sweeteners, flavourings or additives.
-For your convenience, by clicking on the underlined ingredients you will be automatically be redirected to a website where you source them from.
-Photograph & video by Nithin Barath, BV Vishnu and Dinesh