I’m currently bloated and puffy, a reminder that I didn’t listen to my body when it told me to be cautious of the open bars and expansive buffet counters during the ongoing wedding season.
I’ve come to the realisation that when my friends get married, I get fat.
My system is in dire need of a major overhaul.
In an attempt to conclude the ceasefire, I rang my friend Anandini from Diet Unlimited. I explained to her how crucial it was that I looked fit during a photo shoot that I had the following day. Besides I was going to be in a scuba diving suit in 3 weeks, and really didn’t want to look like an overweight fish in the selfies I would be taking down under.
Anandini shared her favorite detox-water recipes with me, and told me to drink 8-10 glasses of this slimming-vitamin infused-yummy water everyday; in addition to giving me a 3 day detox plan, that I will blog about in a few weeks.
Cucumber & Lemon Infused Anti-Bloating Water
- 10-15 slices of fresh cucumber
- ½ a lemon thinly sliced
- 1 liter of cold water
Pomegranate & Mint Infused Detox Water
- ½ a pomegranate (only the seeds, to be more accurate)
- A few fresh mint leaves
- 1 liter of cold water
Goodbye Puffiness & Hello Gorgeousness!
- Add the ingredients to a jar/bottle of cold water, and sip throughout the day.
- As I always say, there are no rules, make it your own. If you enjoy the taste of the fruit infused water, you can increase the quantity of fruit. You can reuse the same fruit throughout the day, when adding more water to the jar, but after 2-3 refills I would recommend that you replace it with fresh fruit so as to maximize your nutrient intake.
Why does this work?
- Cucumbers have anti-inflammatory properties and prevent water retention. They are also rich in vitamin A, C and K, which promote cell growth and boosts the immune system.
- Lemons have lovely cleansing properties that help to flush out toxins. They also kick-start your digestive system, boost metabolism, balance PH levels and are an excellent source of vitamin C.
- Pomegranates have a very high concentration of antioxidants, approximately more than 3 times the quantity found in green tea and oranges. Antioxidants fight free radicals in the body that cause disease. Additionally, Pomegranates are a good source of vitamins A, C and E.
- Mint not only adds a lot of flavour to the water but also aids in digestion. Mint also freshens your breath has blood cleansing properties.
This delicious, slimming water need not be consumed only during bloating season. It also makes for a refreshing drink in the Chennai heat.
Please do let me know if you try it at home and if you enjoy it.
The Pee Diaries:
- When your pee fizzes like rose champagne, ask your doctor for a new urinary bladder and check your kidneys. While waiting to get an ultrasound, chug on some detox water. Keep going, even post ultrasound and maybe your doctor will refuse your unsound request. (P.S: Fizzy pee is a sign of excess protein in your diet.)
- When your pee looks like light beer, you need some major fluid intake! I’d suggest at least 3-4 liters of detox-water a day
- When your pee looks like white wine, it’s time for hydration. Drink up! (Not the wine, but the detox- water).
- When your pee looks like lemonade, smile and give yourself a pat on your back. You’re normal my friend, but no one great was ever just normal. You could use some detox-water on your way to greatness.
- When your pee looks like lemon infused coconut water, congratulations you are on top of the ‘happeeness’ index. You deserve your detox-water in a flute glass.
-For your convenience, by clicking on the underlined terms you will be automatically be redirected to the respective website.
-Photograph & video by Nithin Barath, BV Vishnu and Dinesh